Saturday, November 14, 2009

Malacca Part 2

May I refer to my post titled Malacca Part 1. The area where we had seafood in Malacca is called Ubmai, not Pendu. Hehe. Thanks to TT for the correction. I can be bad with names sometimes.

*********************

Here goes Malacca Part 2.

The chat session was awesome, though I didn't participate in the most part of it (was sleeping). Gave me an insight of the err, inside scoops. Had milk (purchased from 7-11) and Kah Ling's Tiger Susu for darndarnearly breakfast before dawn. Chatted till I felt sleepy again. So I hit the sack, and this time on the couch in the living room. The next thing that happened was myself waking up in a rather awkward position on the couch. I turned my head and saw Mr. TT lounging on the lazy chair just opposite. (He had a bird's eye view of whatever position/style I was sleeping :/ but I am a disciplined sleeper, so its okay) It was already 7:45a.m then. Perfect time to shower as Fatt, Daryl, Adeline and Kah Ling were still fast asleep.

The plan of the day was to have famous Malacca chicken rice balls, tour a bit around daytime Jonker, hunt for Cendol and visit Christ Church. We set off as soon as everyone was showered, packed and ready. We left Malacca on the day itself as we've got class the next day. Boo.

We had chicken rice balls at a quaint but popular shop called ( ). Seriously, I am just bad with names. :(

Verdict: It was okay, taste-wise. I would have preferred the rice to be more fragrant and less sticky. Chicken was well-cooked but not as tender as I hoped it would be. If you ask me, I still prefer the conventional version of chicken rice.

After the quite gratifying chicken rice, we explored the shops along Jonker. At night, most shops were closed to give way to the set-up stalls. Entered various shops selling all kinds of knick-knacks. From Portuguese egg tarts, dresses to candle holders, choices were aplenty. The colours of the shops' interior and exterior were resplendent and striking; humble, but still exude charm.

I also spotted many enthusiastic cameramen cum tourists with their huge DLSRs snapping away at the sights of Malacca. It later occured to me that I saw that exact activity at Jonker the night before. And it soon became a familiar sight around Malacca to me.

I bought walnut biscuits from a tart shop and sat eating them with the three boys, who opted for egg tarts from the shop. The other girls were shopping at a shop next door. We left the place together soon after to go to Christ Church. There were many stalls outside the maroon building selling all sorts of tourist-y stuff. Uncles with cheerfully decorated trishaws (some were playing MJ songs :O) dotted the place as well, discreetly trying to poach tourists into taking their ride. Wai Yi bought a hammock at one of the stalls. Cangotoherplaceforhammockingnexttimehurhur. I love hammocks. Reminds me of resorts and Hui Li's house. :)

We later had cendol opposite Christ Church. It was disappointing, actually, as we were hoping to eat at this famous one at Jonker which was closed. Adeline is an avid cendol enthusiast, you see, so it was double the disappointment for her.

We left Malacca at 12 noon to head back to KL. We stopped by Seremban to get their famous siew pow. They tasted fantastic when eaten warm. One is never enough, as their tagline goes.

Anyway, I expected the siew pow shop to be an ordinary-sized, shophouse lot. Boy, was I wrong. It turned out that the shop was in fact a building of its own. A big one too. On the wall of the shop a certificate caught my attention. Guess what? It was a certificate of recognition by Malaysia Book of Records. It was recognised as the largest siew pow chain in Malaysia with more than a 100 stores to boot around the country. W.O.W factor increased.

Drove back to KL satiated from the trip. It was a good way to take a breather away from the hustle and bustle of KL. It was a nice break from the stress caused by studies too.

*smiles*

Another trip like that next time?





1 comment: