Monday, November 9, 2009

Malacca Part 1

Am back from Malacca a happy person!

The trip was made even better because my stomach didn't act up at all. Seriously, I have milk to thank for. A day after my previous post, I went to nearby Giant after school intending to get some chocolates and suddenly, a thought hit me, "Hey, I ought to check out milk." Reason being, I haven't had good ol' comforting milk for a long time (since my holidays back home). I then belatedly remembered how good milk is for digestion. A bit to late lo! :(

Had the milk and boy, how I felt the change in my stomach environment. The pH seem to return to a more normal and tolerable one, compared to what I had experienced for the past two or so weeks. The effect lasted for the next few days.

Joy. Milk = solution.

Bought milk to drink in Malacca as well.

THANK YOU, MILK! Another reason to love cows other than for their meat.

Hehe.

Told mum about it in the evening and I got the very classic, "Told you so." Sorry, mum, I just plain forgot.

Anyway enough of digression. I am here to blog about Malacca.

**************************

As I didn't bring along my camera, I do not have any photos from Malacca. Gotta wait for Wai Yi and TT to post the pictures in Facebook/upload them into their respective blogs.

Kean Fatt and TT drove us all there. There were seven of us altogether including our dear drivers. Malacca was about an hour-and-a-half's trip from KL. We left KL in the evening at about 7-ish p.m. We reached at about 9pm and headed straight to Jonker Walk, popular tourist destination and one of the highlights of our trip. Before reaching Jonker and after parking the cars, we took pictures at the jetty, a Dutch fort and a water mill (is this what it's called?)

Jonker is similar to a Petaling Street, except Jonker is cleaner, homlier and on a smaller scale. I just love the homely feeling of Jonker. Perhaps it was the traditional Chinese shophouses that line the streets of and how rooted the place is on tradition and heritage.

I had my first fried ice-cream since 2003 at Jonker and it was yummy. I smelt char kuih and couldn't resist so bought a packet. Speaking of char kuih, I noticed that the shells of the eggs used were considerably rougher and paler as compared to normal brown eggs. When asked, the hawker explained that they are called "white-shelled eggs". Hmm, they still tasted like normal eggs if you ask me.

There was a singing competition at Jonker. Participants were none other than old folks. The stage was modest, but grand in a way. I was actually expecting a dingy, rickety platform of a stage . The crowd was extremely supportive too, contrary to my belief that singing old folks are no crowd puller. There were even children in the crowd. What surprises Malacca folks offered, really.

After Jonker, we headed to the outskirts of Malacca to have seafood. I think the name of the area is Pendu and our seafood place is called Parameswara. LOL.

To those who know my extraordinary eating habits, I do not eat seafood (sneer if you like) so I sat and eat my char kuih while my other six buddies chowed down on fish and sotong. Was secretly thankful that no crustaceans were ordered.

Satisfied, we left the seafood place for Wai Yi's uncle's place. Her uncle was so kind to lend us his empty flat for our short stay. Saves us students on budget from spending on accomadation.

We played games that night. It was funny. I was frigging blur at one point because I was dead sleepy. It was really embarassing, even typing this makes me so giddy.

I slept only about 2 hours that night. Kah Ling and I hit the sack earlier while the rest had a chatting/whispering (so as not to wake us up) session. Woke up to hear them still chatting away and decided to join in. :D

to be continued...



2 comments:

  1. Pendu what Pendu. It's in Ubmai la :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the area (in general) is called Pendu. Oops sorry shall amend it. :P

    ReplyDelete